As our Fall 2017 season kicks off, we’re so proud of the scaling successes of the Spring Showcase Finalists.
During the Spring, our volunteer team reviewed 100 applications from minority- and women-led startups, which historically have a challenging time raising capital and breaking into the startup scene. Over 90% of venture capital is invested in white male founding teams. Our program mission is to introduce top quality minority-led startups to quality seed state professional investors.
Thanks to local sponsors like The Gathering Spot, Spencer Stuart, the Atlanta Hawks, the Metro Atlanta Chamber, OnPay, and Write2Market, these Startup Runway finalists get coaching, mentoring and introductions to seed stage investors — and one winner receives a $10,000 strings free prize check.
50% of our Finalists created meaningful traction and acceleration within 30 days of the program.
- Three of our Spring 2017 finalists successfully raised capital or received a term sheet.
- One, Patientory founded by African-American Chrissa McFarlane, raised $7.2 million with her ICO.
- Another, Qoins, co-founded by El Salvadoran-American Christian Zimmerman and African-American Nate Washington, was just accepted into the Queen City Fintech Accelerator.
Others are continuing to grow and scale. Quinetha Frasier, for example, CEO at MyPledger, will be on Dana Barrett’s show in early September and at the International Crowdfunding Conference in San Francisco on Sept. 7th.
Turning the innovation funding gap into an onramp with Startup Runway.
Our team of interns and volunteers is going through dozens of Startup Runway applications right now. Our first private pitch coaching preflight is August 23. We have a great group of founders coming for this first of 3 in person pitch coaching sessions before the big showcase event November 2.
There are several ways you can get involved in Startup Runway, including:
1) Volunteer to provide talent to our Mock Board sessions
2) Provide a tax deductible donation, or
3) Refer a startup to apply for our $10K prize check.